Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Around the Clock Servants

Being a Hauler’s Wife isn’t all that glamorous.  In fact, I can think of quite a few other titles that might just suit me better:  Mother Extraordinaire would be my first choice, followed by Simply Amazing Homemaker or Made-it-From-Scratch Chef. Titles are funny things.  As a teacher I received accolades from my colleagues and most certainly my husband had higher regard for the work I was doing.  For whatever reason, “just” a stay-at-home mother is expected to perform with extra pizazz: be in charge of the family--discipline, finances, social gatherings, thank you notes and family albums-- maintain a tidy house, keep a variety of home made food on the table, keep the kids clean (ohhh, I can't tell you how many times I've chased kids with hairbrushes and toothbrushes!),  spiff up the hubby each morning before he embarks on his day and elevate HIS personal happiness to #1 on this list.  Oops, I left one off ...  run the hauling business. Moms, like other around the clock servants, need vacations.  I'm way past due.

No comments:

Post a Comment