Monday, May 9, 2011

Is the Sludge Good for the Marriage?

At our wedding, my brother-in-law gave the most amazing 8-page speech. He spoke of their childhood and all the fond memories he has of his big brother.  He said quite a few things (most of which went over my head), but one item he touched on stuck out in my mind. He spoke of the wires that one day may string from room to room in search of a more efficient home. And the potential “experiments” that may one day take over my kitchen. I laughed, thinking this was a funny joke and gazed on at my groom with dreamy eyes.

When we met, he lived downtown in a condo. In his bathroom he brewed small amounts of beer, but that was painless, right? He had one tool box, a car that worked and fewer clothes than me … This would be a match in heaven.

Who would have thought that our 2400 square foot home could be filled so quickly? I remember moving in and thinking who could fill all this space? Who would have thought that the enchanted rose garden would have been transformed into an edible garden? And who would have thought the small, gas friendly cars would transform to large diesels running on bio-fuels?!

I try to gloat about the bio-fuels. I like to tell people that the emissions are far better for the environment. I keep waiting for someone to ask, “But is the sludge good for the marriage?”

I most often love the comment: “Gosh, smells like french fries when you start your car!” Or, even better when someone asks, “After I fry this turkey, can I dump my oil in your tank?”

The jokes keep coming and I keep smiling. I love my husband, I do .. but I think there may have been more to my brother-in-law's 8-page speech than I understood!

No comments:

Post a Comment