Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Integrity - Get Some!

My husband and I made the decision early on in our junk-dealing career that we would not charge our patrons who served in the military, fought crime in our communities or put out fires.  It was our personal way of saying thank you.  Sometimes the decision pinched our pocketbook, but we were always happy to pay it forward.  The other day we inherited a brand new top of the line carpet cleaner.  I was excited!  It was an easy sell on Craigslist and I envisioned the crisp $100 bill that would be placed into my hand.   

On the day I listed the carpet cleaner I got tons of calls!  Sweet, I thought!  A $100 day!  The first call was from a young guy.  We made quick introductions and he mentioned he was in the Navy.  Upon arrival, he took a look at the carpet cleaner, rubbed his chin and confessed he was only interested in the hose attachment kit.  Without hesitation, I unleashed it from the handle and as I handed it to him I said "My husband and I would like you to have this at no charge and thank you for all you do for us..."  He gratefully accepted and went on his way. 

Later that day a friendly older couple came to see the carpet cleaner.  By that time, I had uploaded a lower price as the hose attachment was not included--"Brand new Carpet Cleaner--$75!  They introduced themselves as Al and Sadie and we visited for several minutes as they inspected their prospective purchase.  Pleased with the condition, they handed me a wad of bills.  I tucked it in my pocket, we said our good byes and I headed back into the house to answer the ringing telephone and pull my girls apart from a squabble over whose Barbie doll was going to ride in the pink sports car.  With both issues quickly settled, I opened my hand to count the bills.  Uh-oh!  I had five 20s!  $100!  I checked out the window but their car was gone.  I called the phone number they had used when they first called to inquire -- dang, it was their home phone!  I left a message explaining that they had overpaid and asked them to please call so that we could arrange a time for them to pick up their change. 

The following day I received a phone call from my new friend, Al.  He thanked me for the carpet cleaner, said he and his wife had used it that day and didn't hear my message until the following morning. (Older folks, I've learned, don't check their voice mail as often as we do!)  He wanted to let me know he was pleased with it but that his real reason for calling was to thank me for having the integrity to call him about the overpayment.  He went on and on about 'back in the day' and 'how it used to be' and over-joyfully exclaimed that my action restored a lost faith he had had for the future of our children.  He said he knew that if there were more parents 'out there' like us things would be fine, just fine, he said.   Once again, we said our good byes, this time with my mind exploring his words.  Hmmm....in-teg-rity....I thought of all my recent encounters with the people in my life....integrity----got some?

10 comments:

  1. One of the best posts ever!
    www.rebeccabany.com
    http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/becbany

    ReplyDelete
  2. appreciate your honesty....there are few folks like you who would call the person who overpaid. give yourselve a well deserved pat on the back thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, thanks! Pam, thanks! Call me crazy, but together I think we can make this world a more enjoyable place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! Integrity is such an important lesson, one my parents really tried to instill in me, and now I'm trying to do the same for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story and thank you to your husband and yourself for the great service you give our veterans. I love your blog. I am a new follower and I would love a follow back on my blog. I write about my crazy life and also do book reviews. Look forward to seeing you there. Donna
    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Donna! I appreciate your kind words .. I look forward to spending some time on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are awesome! What a wonderful story, enjoyed it very much! ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pascale, thanks ... glad you enjoyed the story. BTW, your blog page is great! I could enjoy it for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up to happy Monday blog hop and following me, I'm following you back.
    Naomi
    http://misoglamorous.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww I like that you called the old couple back.

    ReplyDelete