Friday, April 15, 2011

Doctor So and So, President Chit Chat

I am not one for titles.  For me, first names are sufficient.  But every once in awhile I will receive a call from an overly resonant voice announcing himself as "Doctor So and So" or some quick snappy chirp from "President Chit Chat" of the local volunteer organization.  My antenna goes up in an instant and I am in defense-mode.  My response is well-founded as I've learned they believe we common folk won't understand a word coming from their well educated lips.

My title “Hauler” or “Hauler’s Wife” just doesn't have the spin necessary to impress many people.  Believe it or not, many will look down on our kind.  I hear questions like, “Do you understand what I am saying?” or “Does this make any sense to you?” or, “Have you written this down so you don't forget?”  I'm especially amused when someone asks me to have the owner call them back; they have a few questions that I probably won’t be able to answer.....brother!

I listen and answer questions politely and wait for the critical moment, the pause in the conversation, when I casually mention that my husband, the owner, won't be home until after 4 -- that he is an Information Analyst by day and a hauler by night so that I can stay home and raise our two children.  Generally that catches a bit of interest and if it doesn't, I expand the family description and continue telling the doctor or the president that he also enjoys being the president of his business club, makes bio-diesel and occasionally enjoys concocting a batch of IPA.  When he's not working, I continue, he enjoys spending time with his family and loves working in the yard. (okay, so the yard is a bit of a stretch...!)  If I am given the opportunity I proceed to inform them that I, too, graduated from college, received my teaching credential and my Master’s degree, taught high school for 5 years and by my own choosing now stay at home to enjoy these short preschool years and run the hauling business.

I'm a pretty friendly person and I don't believe my comments are offensive.  Some get down right interested and change their tune altogether!  Others could care less.  Honestly, I think I do it more for myself.  It's reassuring to hear my voice recant all our credentials and the lofty plans we have for our family.  I know I will not reeducate anyone who has already made a decision of their important position in life and my subordinate placement.  One thing is for sure A Hauler's Wife I am and I do, after all, get the last say...."How will you be paying ... cash, check, credit card?"

2 comments: