Monday, April 4, 2011

Will I Ever Sleep Again!?

Shortly after having our first child, I became confident in my new role as “stay at home mother.” It wasn’t as tough as I imagined it would be. Although the new baby was getting up quite a few times at night, I was advised that I should take advantage of the baby's daytime naps to catch up on some of the lost sleep.  Yeah, right!  As every other seasoned mother knows quite the opposite happened.  While she napped, I dove into the daily chores that every stay-at-home Mom faced: endless "picking up"--dishes, newspapers, bath towels from the morning showers, dirty socks from yesterday's haul and oh! those muddy shoes; piles of fresh laundry to be folded; dinner to prepare and the nonstop responsibilities of the business.  

Sleep? Just as I would see the opportunity to close my eyes, either the hauling phone would ring or the baby would wake up.  

I am certain I am not the first new mother to profess angst over the lack of sleep, but keeping the business going during that particular time only added to my already hormonal imbalance.  I remember whining to my friends, “I have never been so tired in my life! Will I ever sleep again?” And, as good friends, they were quick to remind me of the double duty in which I was enlisted.  "Oh", but remember our college days?  We'd stay up all night, grab a cup of coffee and get to an 8 o'clock class, then rush to work for the night shift, make it home in time to meet at the neighborhood hangout and stay up all night again ..  why is this sleeplessness tougher"? We all laughed at those mindless days!  Now that I reflect I think a lot had to do with the fact that it was just me and my little girl whose only delight came from unscheduled suckling and a fresh diaper.  

Each day was absolutely up to me, I understand this. However, this could go south quickly with one call from an eager client or driver with a problem.  Often my decision was just survival!  And that I did.  There are more good things to remember than bad about my early motherhood days.  One thing I'm still particularly proud of is the fact that I was able to change a loaded diaper and schedule a hauling job all without baby or client knowing they are only getting half my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment